The Mid-Atlantic Association of Museums (MAAM) encourages members to submit nominations for the following categories of awards to recognize organizations and individuals throughout the Mid-Atlantic region for their leadership, career achievements, creativity, and best practices.
THE KATHERINE COFFEY AWARD
The Katherine Coffey Award is given each year by the Mid-Atlantic Association of Museums to an individual in the Mid-Atlantic region to recognize distinguished achievement in the museum field. The Coffey Award ceremony is held annually at the MAAM Annual Meeting and is one of the pinnacle events of the conference.
Eligibility and Qualifications for Coffey Award
- Nominees should have worked as a paid museum professional for at least 10 years in a principal position.
- Nominees should have been (or be currently) employed in the Mid-Atlantic region during the period of principal contribution for which the award is being given.
- Nominees should demonstrate accomplishment in their role and a record of service to the profession on state, regional, national, and/or international levels.
- Nominees should also have a proven record of service to the community in which the museum is located.
THE MAKING AN IMPACT AWARD
This award honors museums and institutions as a whole for developing either a program, exhibition, or special project that displays responsiveness and resourcefulness and have resulted in creative change for their organizations and a positive impact on their communities.
THE EMERGING MUSEUM PROFESSIONAL AWARD
An award celebrating outstanding emerging professionals who have worked or volunteered in the museum industry for fewer than 7 years.
Required Materials for Nomination
- Nominator’s contact information
- Nominee’s contact information
- 1 cover letter explaining why you believe the person should be nominated for the award (in PDF form, please)
- 1 letter of support attesting to the nominee’s contributions to the museum field and to their community (in PDF form, please)
- For the Katherine Coffee Award Only: 1 additional letter of support (in PDF form, please)
AWARDS SELECTION AND ANNOUNCEMENT PROCESS
The MAAM Awards Committee will review all nominations following the close of the Call for Nominations. Nominating parties will be notified of the committee’s decision by mid September. Recipients will be announced publicly in September and recognized during the 2023 Annual Meeting at the Hotel DuPont in Wilmington, Delaware, October 10-12.