About the Symposium
The symposium is organized under three inter-related themes: Vision, Implementation, and Sustainability (or Life after Opening) . The content of each day will reflect these themes across a broad range of museum sizes and scales, budgets, scope of building projects, disciplines, and collecting vs. non-collecting institutions.
This symposium is for architects, museum leaders, planners, project managers, technical experts, and all those who plan or implement new construction, renovation, or expansion projects for museums. Whether your institution is a small historic site under renovation, a mid-sized art museum planning an expansion, or a large children’s museum building a new facility, this symposium is for you.
Building Museums™ is an annual international symposium created, produced and managed by the Mid-Atlantic Association of Museums [MAAM] but is open to everyone with an interest in this important topic.
Attending the symposium will provide you the opportunity to:
- Better understand the process of planning, implementing, and surviving new construction, renovation, or expansion projects
- Examine case studies, current trends, topical issues, and specific projects related to building projects across a broad range of museum sizes and scales, budgets, scope of building projects, diversity of disciplines, and collecting vs. non-collections-holding institutions
- Actively discuss museum building projects with other museum professionals, architects, planners, project managers, and technical experts to better inform the process of building
- Access resources for architectural firms, consultants, museum projects, and museum leaders
JW Marriott Chicago
151 W Adams St
Chicago, IL 60603
Phone: (312) 660-8200
Call for Session Proposals
Our call for session proposals is closed.
Registration is open*. Click here to register. Early bird rates will last until February 11, 2020.
*Conference registration and pre-conference workshop and tour registration is separate this year.
FOR THIS YEAR:
- Exclusive, discounted rates for museum professionals.
- Members of the Association of Midwest Museums can register for the conference at the MAAM Member rate. (AMM Members should contact their Administrator for information on how to register as an AMM Member).
- Conference registration and pre-conference workshop and tour registration is separate this year.
Please see below for the rates for the 2020 Symposium.
- Museum Professional MAAM Member (Early Bird/Regular): $350/$399
- Museum Professional Non-Member (Early Bird/Regular): $435/499
- All Other Professionals MAAM Member (Early Bird/Regular): $425/$499
- All Other Professionals Non-Member (Early Bird/Regular): $499/$575
- Session Presenters: $250
Registration Cancellation Policy and Refunds
If you need to cancel your registration for Building Museums, we will provide a refund of the ticket price, less a $20 processing fee, up to February 21, 2020. We must receive your refund request in writing, by email, or in a written statement through WildApricot no later than February 21, 2020. explaining the need for a refund.
After February 21, 2020, no refunds will be granted.