MCN is pleased to offer scholarships to 15 qualified applicants from the cultural sector to attend MCN 2018 in Denver, Colorado. The MCN Scholarship program is made possible by the support of our members, sponsors, and conference attendees.
Every scholar will receive:
- Complimentary conference registration
- Choice of one complimentary professional workshop on Tuesday, November 13, 2018
- A $400 (USD) stipend for travel and food
- Complimentary room at the conference hotel for three (3) nights: November 13–15, 2018
- An opportunity to meet with MCN board members over lunch during the conference
- Complimentary MCN individual membership for one year
Scholarship Recipients Expectations
Every scholar will be required to:
- Present a five-minute lightning talk on a digital project they have worked on
- Attend a mandatory scholar orientation and rehearsal the afternoon of Tuesday, November 13, 2018
- Contribute blogs posts to be published on the MCN blog before and/or after the conference
- Participate in social media discussions (via Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or other platforms) reflecting on and sharing the themes and issues that emerge throughout the conference
To be eligible for an MCN Scholarship, applicants must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Be employed at an institution with no more than 20 full-time staff
- Be a first-time MCN conference attendee
- Be new to the profession with less than 2 years of experience in the field
- Identify as part of a group that is traditionally underrepresented or otherwise marginalized. This includes, but is not limited to, persons of color, LGBTQ+, persons with disabilities
International applicants are strongly encouraged to apply. Previous MCN Scholars are not eligible to apply.
Applications are due online by April 30, 2018, at 11:59 pm in your timezone.
The MCN Scholarship Committee will conduct interviews in June 2018 and notify scholars by mid-July 2018.
Scholars will be responsible for their own travel arrangements and visa applications (if required).
Review Process and Award Notification
The MCN Scholarship Committee will review all applications, evaluating applicants based on their professional background, field of expertise, and current position. The Committee will also consider how an applicant’s attendance will enrich the conference for other attendees. Applications from individuals who identify as belonging to groups that are traditionally underrepresented in the museum field will be given additional consideration. The Committee will strive to create a diverse cohort of scholars who represent a wide array of institutions, expertise, backgrounds, and projects.
MCN 2018: Humanizing the Digital
The theme for the 2018 annual conference Humanizing the Digital seeks to investigate how museums can use technology to foster human connection and dialogue, advance accessibility and inclusion, and champion inquiry and knowledge.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.