The Mid-Atlantic Association of Museums (MAAM) and DC Emerging Museum Professionals are pleased to launch our 2nd Annual joint Mentorship Program
The goal of this joint Mentorship Program is to connect MAAM members with emerging professionals and to foster dialogue between museum career levels. This program will commence after an initial, virtual meet-up in September 2020. The program will be 12 months in length, culminating with a virtual meet-up.
This program is free to participants. Space is limited to 25 mentors and 25 mentees. Submitting a mentor or mentee application does not guarantee that you will be paired.
- This program is 1 year in length, beginning in September 2020.
- MAAM and DC EMP’s will provide participants with monthly discussion prompts and will host monthly virtual meet-ups with the cohort.
- The cohort is expected to participate in most of the monthly discussion prompts and the monthly virtual meet-ups.
- Mentors and mentees are selected through an application process overseen by a Mentorship Committee with participants from the MAAM board and DC Emerging Museum Professionals.
- Mentors and mentees must be from the Washington DC metro area and Baltimore metro area (within 50 miles of each city).
- Mentorship pairs are expected to meet/call at least once a month throughout the entirety of the program.
- Mentorship pairs will create a list of goals/topics that they plan to accomplish or discuss while participating in the program.
- Mentorship pairs will be invited to participate in quarterly virtual meet-ups hosted by MAAM/ DC EMP.
- All program participants are expected to complete at least a mid-year evaluation and an end-of-program evaluation. These evaluations are intended to improve the program year to year.
- Participants will be given monthly topics to discuss with their mentor/mentee. These topics are suggestions and act as a guide.
- Participants must have a willingness to accept constructive advice from mentor/mentee.
- Participants must have a desire to support each other through a sincere dedication of time, interest, and enthusiasm.
- Participants are encouraged to attend MAAM’s Annual Meeting and DC Emerging Museum Professional events.
Applications for mentors are accepted from MAAM members and DC Metro professionals with 7+ years of experience working in the museum field. All fields are welcome to apply (administration, education, curation, collections, facilities, communications). Click here to apply to be a mentor!
Applications for mentees are accepted from MAAM members, DC EMP members and the greater MAAM EMP community. DC EMP’s and MAAM are considering those with 7 years of experience or fewer to be emerging museum professionals. All fields are welcome to apply (administration, education, curation, collections, facilities, communications). Participants may either be enrolled in a graduate program, or can be new into their museum career.
Mentor Applications will be accepted until July 31, 2020.
Mentee Applications will become available on August 3, 2020.
The program will commence with a virtual cohort meet-up in September 2020.