Are you looking for a way to engage your museum members? Looking for distance learning activities? Looking for respite amidst social distancing?
Look no further! There are so many museums in the Mid-Atlantic region offering virtual tours, distance learning, activities, webcams, online collections, and much more during COVID closures (and beyond!)
Want to see your museum added to the list? Contact us.
- New-York Historical Society, Manhattan
Discover dynamic education programs and curriculum resources about the history of our city, state, and nation: https://www.nyhistory.org/education/professional-learning/curriculum-library
- Dyckman Farmhouse Museum, Manhattan
- Dyckman at Home: Coloring pages, Luna Activity Book, and DyckmanDISCOVERED
- Cayuga Museum of History and Art, Auburn
- The Strong National Museum of Play, Rochester
- Delight in Storytime Club, Animal Encounters, DIY Projects, and More Daily on The Strong’s Facebook Page
- Read Playful Blogs from Museum Curators
- Watch ‘Stories Behind the Stuff’ Every Thursday at 3 p.m. on The Strong’s YouTube Channel
- Discover Museum Collections through Google Arts & Culture
- Take an Audio Tour of the Museum Using Your Smartphone
- Get Playing with the Original Mobile Games App
- Corning Museum of Glass, Corning
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- The Frick Collection
- Brooklyn Historical Society, Brooklyn
- Online Resource Guides, Blogs, Photos, and more! Scroll down to, “Explore Online”
- Guggenheim Museum,Manhattan
- Museum of the City of New York,Manhattan
- State Museum of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg
Pottsgrove Manor, Pottstown
360 virtual tour of Pottsgrove Manor: https://www.montcopa.org/3421/360-Experience-of-Pottsgrove-Manor
- Whitaker Center for Science and The Arts, Harrisburg
- At Home With Science videos – https://www.whitakercenter.
- At Home With Science videos – https://www.whitakercenter.
- Westmoreland Museum of American Art, Greensburg
- The Frick, Pittsburgh
- Heinz History Center,Pittsburgh
- Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh
- Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh
- Museum of the American Revolution,Philadelphia
- Eastern State Penitentiary, Philadelphia
- The Rosenbach
- Online at home activity resource for children
Gateway to the museum’s Herman Melville exhibition: We highly recommend it with the soundtrack(s) on!
- John James Audubon Center at Mill Grove
- Visit their site above and explore bird calls!
- Historic House Tour in 3D
- Valley Forge National Historic Park,Valley Forge
- Stay tuned, the following institutions will be expanding their collections access and/or social media presence in the Philly area:
- Free Library of Philadelphia @freelibrary
- Mutter Museum @mutter
- Franklin Institute @TheFranklin
- Academy of Natural Sciences @acadnatsci
- Penn Museums @pennmuseum
- Philadelphia Athenaeum @philaathenaeum
- Constitution Center @constitutionctr
- Independence Seaport Museum @phillyseaport
- Philadelphia Mural Arts Program @muralarts
- Philadelphia Magic Gardens @phillymagicgardens
- Fireman’s Hall @firemanshall
- Alice Paul Institute, Mount Laurel
The Old Barracks Museum, Trenton
New online exhibit titled “When Women Vote: The Old Barracks and the Anti-Suffrage Movement” https://www.barracks.org/
Online exhibit, “Necessary and Proper for the Public Good” How the American Red Cross and the Old Barracks Association partnered to contribute to the WWI War Effort: https://www.barracks.org/
necessary-and-proper-for-the- public-good-world-war-i- exhibit.html
- Museum of Early Trades & Crafts, Madison
- Webpage with activities for children and adults: www.metc.org/at-home
- National Archives
Online programs, exhibits, and learning activities. Visit the National Archives website.
- Baltimore Museum of Art,Baltimore
- BMA Stories: Observations from artists, behinds the scenes, interviews, and more!
- National Electronics Museum, Linthicum
- Delaware Museum of Natural History, Wilmington
Storytime and live animal presentations live on the Museum’s Facebook page, as well as links to crafts, tours, etc: https://www.delmnh.org/
- Delaware Art Museum , Wilmington
- Delaware Historical Society, Wilmington
- Digital Collections: http://dehistory.org/research-collections/digital-collections
- A Few of Our Favorite Things: http://dehistory.org/research-collections/a-few-of-our-favorite-things
- Winterthur, Wilmington
- Delaware Contemporary, Wilmington
“Project C” an online learner space designed to provide comprehensive educational resources in the areas of contemporary art and culture for in-service educators, education-based institutions, and the art-interested public: https://www.decontemporary.
- Discover Color Activity Book, Ages 3-7
- Discover Color Activity Book, Ages 8-12
- Smithsonian Learning Lab
- Distance Learning Resources
- Great resource for teachers!
- Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens
- DAR Museum
- National Museum of American History
- National Park Service Museum Management Program
- Virtual Museum Exhibits: https://www.nps.gov/museum/
- National Heritage Areas
- Mormon Pioneer National Heritage Area, Sangre de Cristo National Heritage Area, and Northern Rio Grande National Heritage Area ,partnered with Discovery Road to create an episode “Hello Neighbor” that examines early Mormon settlement in Colorado and visits with descendants of some of the first families in the San Luis Valley.
- Listen to the NHA Podcasts to learn more about the American Indian history of the Lower Susquehanna River and the partnership between the Susquehanna NHA and the Captain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail.
- Washingtonian Magazine, “You Can Still Visit these DC Museums Without Leaving Your House”
Favorite Movies about or based around Museums
Need something to watch? Here’s a list of movies and documentaries based on, around, or about museums.
- Monuments Men
- How to Marry a Millionaire
- The Thomas Crown Affair
- Blackmail (1929)
- Bringing Up Baby (1938)
- House of Wax (1953)
- Manhattan (1979)
- La Ville Louvre (1990)
- Russian Ark (2002)
- Museum Hours (2012)